THE PRINCIPLES OF OPTIMAL HEALTH
1. A Positive Self-Image .
2. A Diet Free of Toxic Foods That Supplies Optimal Levels
of All Beneficial Nutrients
3. Clean Air and Living Environment, Pure Water, and
Adequate Sunshine .
4. Adequate Exercise and Rest
Positive Mental Outlook
You cannot be healthy on any level until you are healthy on every level. The key to it all is a positive self-image.
Until you have adequate self esteem, all of the information you amass about getting healthy will do you no good, for you will not think highly enough of yourself to use it.
Along with self-esteem, we need to cultivate personal responsibility. No one keeps you healthy. Nutritionists, nutritionally oriented physicians, naturopaths, osteopaths, chiropractors coach. It is up to you to keep yourself healthy..
Optimal Intake of All Beneficial Nutrients
Adequate amounts of essential nutrients will eliminate deficiencies, but will not prevent cancer or heart disease.
Even a high-potency multivitamin, while a good start, is only the beginning. You need to get all forty-five nutrients in optimal amounts.
These amounts will differ for each person and his or her unique metabolism and lifestyle.
We need, however,more than just the ones that are essential: We need all that are beneficial..We need to examine so called nonessential nutrients such as CoQ10,carnitine, GLA ,taurine, and N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC).
While these nutrients are made by the body in’ small amounts, the only way to get them in optimal amounts is through supplements.
Other nonessential protective substances include polyphenols from plants that have tremendous protective and therapeutic ability.2.3Investigate all nutrients and take those you find most helpful.
All beneficial nutrients are essential for those who want health at the highest level.
Avoid Toxic Foods and Contaminants
- Margarine, vegetable shortenings, and baked goods containing “partially hydrogenated oil”
- Fried foods of all kinds, including fried ,chips from the health food store. Stir-frying is okay.
- Supermarket vegetable oils such as corn, sunflower, safflower, and canola oils that have had all of the nutrients refined out of them. These nutritionally naked junk oils contain toxic trans fats, are often rancid, and cause disease.
- Consume only virgin flax, canola, and olive oils that are stored in opaque containers and pressed at low temperatures from organic sources.
- White flour, bleached flour, bromated flour, even “wheat flour.” It has to say “whole wheat flour.” If it does not say “whole wheat” or “wholegrain,” avoid it.
- Unless you are a menstruating woman, avoid Product 19, Total, and all cereals and foods that have the full RDA for iron added to them. The overconsumption of iron poses a serious health threat for men and postmenopausal women.
- Sugar in all forms: high-fructose corn syrup, barley malt, fruit juice concentrate, honey, molasses, maple syrup, invert sugar,etc.
- Avoid baking powder that contains aluminum, aluminum foil, and aluminum pots and pans. Aluminum is implicated in causing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Coffee, caffeinated or not. It is loaded with pesticides and free-radical-producing hydrocarbons, and stains your spleen and liver the color of the bottom of a coffee cup. . Additives: Buy food that does not have chemical preservatives, artificial .colors, emulsifiers, or other synthetic agents. Americans eat many pounds of these chemicals per year and have the toxic bodies to prove it.
- Foods that you may be sensitive to. Wheat, gluten-containing grains, dairy products, and yeast-containing foods are common offenders. Your nutritionist or holistic M.D. can help you pinpoint foods that may be troublesome for you.
- Produce grown with pesticides, fungicides, and herbicides. Eat vegetables no’ matter what kind you buy, but organic produce is best. Organic foods are those grown without harmful chemicals. Pesticides have been implicated in causing a wide range of diseases including cancer and impaired brain function in the elderly.
- Avoid peanuts and peanut butter unless the manufacturer certifies them aflatoxin-free. Afiatoxin is a powerfully carcinogenic mold that grows easily on these legumes as well as corn and is believed to cause thousands of cases of liver cancer per year.
- Chicken, meat, and eggs from animals fed hormones and antibiotics. Free-range animals have more essential fatty acids, less total fat, and make healthier meat and eggs.
- Avoid fish from polluted waters. Raw or undercooked fish should also be avoided as it can harbor parasites. . Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum, and make organic red wine your drink of choice if you drink.
A Clean Environment
Pure water that is free of fluoride (once used as a rat poison), chlorine, and other toxins is essential to good health.
Buy ~pring or distilled water or invest in a high-quality water filter system. Filters for the shower-head are also very important.
Clean air and adequate sunshine are also important for adequate immune function and disease prevention. Air filters may be necessities for city dwellers.
American extremes in exercise are like a college football game: twenty-two people ~eating their brains out on the field with eighty-thousand people sitting around watching.
Some overdo it and many do nothing at all. walking, swimming, cross- country machines, or mini trampolines may offer the most overall benefits. Any exercise you like to do is better than none.
Dancing, racquetball, and other participatory sports are increasingly popular for the fun they add to movement.
Remember: Even five to ten minutes of walking or any exercise is a fine beginning. Bowling, touch football, walking the dog more frequently-anything that gets you moving is worthwhile.
Don’t let an all-or-nothing approach stop you before you start.
Get Enough Rest
Sleep adequately. If you need an alarm to wake you, you, are not getting enough rest.
Go to bed as early as possible and sleep until you wake refreshed. Exercise and good nutrition help the body sleep more deeply.
Eat According to Individual Needs
We all have unique biochemistries. When the media tells you to eat a low-fat diet, take calcium, or eat a lot of carbohydrates, its prescriptions may run counter to your body’s nutritional needs.
Everything in your diet. must be customized. That usually requires the guidance of a nutritionist or nutritionally oriented doctor, but is well worth the visit or two it takes to get you on the right track.
Nutrition Is Celebratory
Optimal health is not the result of deprivation. It celebrates the benefits of many foods and nutrients, allowing us more of life and health. It is the marriage of science and pleasure.
Balance the information to your own best advantage. Discard that which is too difficult and use that which suits you. Don’t try to be perfect or avoid all of your favorite foods, even if some of .
them are “bad.” Improve your diet and lifestyle at whatever pace is best for you. Improving your health this way will only add to your enyoyment of life.